Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Our Camping Trip



Oh, but we had fun!!! There was a group of us - 8 moms and 9 kids for a long weekend - Wednesday through Sunday. We went up to Hayward, Wisconsin, which I guess is a popular vacation spot in Wisconsin. I have to say that I just LOVE group camping. We had our pop-up camper and everyone else stayed in camping cabins, with one mom and her son in a lodge.




The kids had a blast swimming, jumping on the jumping pillow, playing on the little and the big playgrounds, riding the wagon, eating ice cream, participating in a watermelon eating contest, playing impromptu relay races, seeing Hayward's big fish from a distance, going to the Wilderness Walk to feed the animals, seeing fireworks, roasting marshmallows, and all around having fun.



The moms paired up so we only had to cook one dinner for our stay. I did my normal grilling: potatoes, carrots, brats, hamburgers and hot dogs. There was always someone to take the kids someplace or to do something with. It was great.



The most fun, or should I say funny, thing was when we went tubing down the local river. Boy, was there a lot of laughter in that. When we got in, the current was so strong we all had a really hard time getting on our tubes while holding the kids tubes who were tied to ours. And we were helping each other, too. The ride down the river lasted about 1-1/2 hours. Anna and I ran into trees on the side of the river at one point and a man behind me yelled out "don't worry, I'll get you", and helped me out. One friend almost lost her bathing suit bottom when she had to stand up to get past a shallow area. For about the last half hour, we were pretty much tied together as a group. Next time, we decided that we would tie all the tubes together instead of just the kids to their moms. One mom who left her son with the designated babysitter (for those too young to go) took Jessica with her. That was a huge help. Later, she gave Jessica her first job as a Mother's Helper.



We had so much fun, we're planning a trip next summer. And we're also planning a tent camping trip for next month. I'm now excited to camp again! And my friend Joyce has a couple of videos on her blog (here) of a Tween Music Video and a Relay Race if you want to go over and check it out.







No comments: