Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Gotcha Day Anniversary










It's unbelievable that it was an entire year ago that we first got Amanda. I remember the grief and then the bargaining to go with anyone but us - in particular me. There's no doubt in my mind now that she was the child I'd waited all those years for. God's timing is alway perfect.





Things are never rosy or perfect. Overall, Amanda is very easy, very easy-going and adaptable. She's doing great at home. Academically doing outstanding at school. Lately she's been having some issues socially at school. She rather likes being in charge and doesn't always agree with the teacher's handling of issues. Being liked by everyone is very important to her and I don't think she's had a lot of experience around kids her own age. Not everyone likes everyone all the time. Something to learn.





She's still determined and knows what she wants, but her world of opportunities has widened from what it was before. Not much phases her. I guess she figures things have turned out okay so far. In some ways, she's younger than her age and others she's older. She loves being outside riding her bike or scooter. She's totally Americanized now - for good or bad. I do find it sad that she's totally forgotten her Mandarin. I guess being around people who speak it just once a week (during dance classes) isn't enough to retain it. At some point I'd like to have her take Chinese school but right now I'm afraid she'd think we're preparing her to go back to China. Yes, every now and then she'll verbalize something that I realize happened to her before and is afraid will happen again. Like she said "I'm really going to miss Jessica when she goes back to China to live with her mom and dad." I realized that that's probably what happened to her big sister that she lived with her in foster home in China - the one I have photos of, but she doesn't talk about in any reminicing of her life in China. Her big sister in China probably got adopted, so she's afraid that will happen to Jessica or Anna. So I've been showing Amanda lots of pictures of Jessica and Anna as babies, so she can see they've grown up together and are still with me. I've also been explaining adoption more. You just never know what your kids are thinking until they say something.


Anyway, we usually celebrate "Family Day" as adoption anniversary day which is tomorrow, but I've been thinking of that day a year ago and what a difference a year makes. So happy Gotcha Day to us!




2 comments:

Pam and Jeff said...

Happy Gotcha Day, Amanda!!! What a great post. We are so glad to see some sweet pictures.

Sue said...

Happy gotcha day....