Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election


I hope everyone got out and voted. I believe very strongly that everyone should vote, even those who don't agree with me. I know we all witnessed history last night. I should have been thrilled as my guy won, but I was more relieved than anything. I guess deep down I still wished it had been Hillary. But it is nice to be on the winning side for once.

McCain gave a very impressive concession speech last night. It really showed his true character, which I didn't see until last night because of all the negative ads we were bombarded with.

Obama gave an excellent speech as well. I really hope he turns out to be a good president - as good as all the hype and excitement, as good as his speeches. We definitely need change and to turn things around in this country, not only with the economy, but also America's perception worldwide. Hopefully this was the first step.

Anna was excited because she voted for him at school. In her Scholastic News it said his favorite children's book was "Harry Potter". She figured he was her guy if he liked Harry Potter. On the other hand, she asked me this morning what he won. I said he gets to be president of the United States of America and she thought that was a pretty good prize.

Jessica has watched a lot of the stuff leading up to the election. We've discussed a lot of the ads and how if we know one side is distorting the truth, we know that the other side must be too. And we've talked about why I voted the way I did. Jess was anxious to hear what the results of her school election would be. They were announcing it this morning. She knows I voted at her school and has a pretty good understanding. I did see one of her classmates outside when I was being a parent volunteer yesterday afternoon. He asked if the votes of all the people coming in really counted. I told him yes, they really count! He was pretty impressed that we were really electing a new president.

Our senatorial race is pretty much a dead heat. Out of the nearly 3 million votes cast for senator, the difference between the top two is only around 700 votes. That calls for a mandatory recount, so we may not know the results until mid-December. It was such a nasty campaign, and now we don't even have a clear cut winner. Ugh, I sure wanted that one to be over with. You get to a point where you don't want to vote for either candidate, which I guess explains why the Independent candidate got 15% of the vote, with less than a majority, 42% each, for Coleman and Franken.

No comments: