Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Where are the Hidden Cameras?

I feel like I’m having a bunch of practical jokes on me (and I don’t like practical jokes), or that someone will jump out soon and say "Look, you're on Candid Camera!".

Sunday was Jessica’s First Communion. We were at the church from 9:00-11:20. Anna started whining and crying and getting sick about half-way into our time there. I had 21 people, a mix of kids and adults, in my house afterward for an open house. I figured I’d just put Anna to bed and let her watch a movie until she hopefully fell asleep. I walk into my house and no lights were on. Evidently there were some really high winds around 11:00 that knocked down trees and branches, knocking into and down power lines. So here I am, having an open house, and I have no power! Luckily it was a relatively nice day. Cloudy, but a nice temperature, so I opened up all the blinds to let some light in. All the food I was serving was cold (sandwiches, veggies, fruit, chips, salsa), so I didn’t have to worry about that. Anna of course never went to sleep because she couldn’t watch a movie, but the Tylenol kicked in and she was feeling better. At 8:20 p.m. I finally decided to call the power company since I was starting to worry about the food in my freezers and refrigerator and they told me they were estimating noon the next day for power to be restored! Luckily about 5 minutes later it all came back on. I was too tired to do much at that point so just went to bed. Here's a picture of the cake. I'll get a picture of Jessica in her pretty dress and veil later. Notice, too, that the package I bought that was supposed to say "1st Communion", only had letters for "1st Communin".

Yesterday, Anna still had a low-grade fever in the morning, so I kept her home from school. She says the Ramen Noodles she ate for lunch made her hurt tummy, leg and head all better, so bad mommy, I let her go to swimming lessons. After swimming, I was going to bring the girls out to eat since it was almost 7:00 and when we get to the restaurant, Anna goes “ew, Mom, you have sticky stuff on your back!”. Seems my almost 8 year old thought the proper place to dispose of gum was the back of my carseat. She tried to claim it was my fault for not looking where I was sitting.. Needless to say, we went home instead of the restaurant, and gum is banned for an indeterminate amount of time. She finally at some point during the evening spelled “s-o-r-r-y”.

This morning I was having some female troubles, so we got going really late. Anna gets all mad at me because she sees the clothes I laid out for Jessica on my bed, but hers fell to the floor and she thinks I only love Jessica. Jessica thinks I only love Anna because I got mad at her for the gum incident! THEN, guess who spills her instant breakfast on my car seat? Yup, my almost 8 year old. Then, to top it all off, earlier I had written permissions to her teacher and a friend’s bus driver so that she could go to that friend’s house after school, we get to school and Jessica goes “do you have those sheets of paper?” Boy, you think they’re growing up and then they prove you wrong on the worst possible days.

So, I ended up getting to work an hour late after having missed the previous 2 days, and I felt like someone had played a bunch of practical jokes on me just to see how I’d handle it. And, to top it off, I keep forgetting to mail my gift to my cybershower recipient and I was supposed to do it by April 30th! I hope she’s understanding. It’s going overseas so I have to take it to the post office, and I forgot again to go at lunchtime!

But, my house is clean, or at least most of it is, and maybe that’s why I’m taking it all in stride. Let’s hope these incidents don’t keep happening.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I have an 8 year old also and, while I'm very sorry for your horrible day, I'm so very glad that it doesn't just happen to me. You're exactly right, "You think they're growing up then they prove you wrong..." So true, but then they make it all better by doing or saying the cutest things and we just can't stay mad at them any longer!

Hope your day got better and everyone is feeling good now!