Sunday, January 20, 2008

SKATING!!!

The US Figure Skating Championships start this week in St. Paul. The marquee events are all basically Thursday-Sunday. I used to travel with a tour group to Skate America's, National's, and World's from 1991-1998. I've always dreamed of bringing my girls to skating events. They both like to skate but do not want to take lessons. Well, Anna would like to, but when I ask which they'd prefer between piano lessons, swimming lessons, or skating lessons, they both choose swimming. They both love to dance and that's fun and not nearly the commitment of skating or gymnastics, so I'm fine with them sticking to dancing and swimming for now.

The girls happen to have this Friday off of school. I don't know why and it doesn't appear any of the surrounding school districts do, but I'm going to take the day off of work and take the girls to watch the day's events. I'd love to bring them to more, but boy, when you're looking at 3 tickets to each event, it really adds up. It's already $120 for us to go the the Jr. Pair's and Jr. Men's championship event including parking. Food will cost a bunch more on top of that. But the last time any skating competitions have been here was Worlds in 1998 - so 10 years ago. I'll debate all week on whether to go to anything else. Maybe I'll look for a babysitter and go to something by myself. But whatever I decide to do, I'm getting really excited. It's always been my dream to bring my girls to watch something I love. I hate to pass the opportunity up.


2 comments:

Pam and Jeff said...

How very cool!! I have always enjoyed watching ice skating. I am sure you have seen some great things.

Brandi said...

What fun! I like to watch skating as well. Wish I was decent at it myself...I can barely get around the rink without hanging on the edge.

Hope you all have a great time!