Monday, April 2, 2007

Latest Happenings







Jessica and her friends danced at the Minneapolis Children's Museum on Thursday night. It was part of their "Race" series. They danced two dances, the Candy Dance, and the Basket Dance. I'm sure they have official titles, but that's what we call them. I was mom-in-charge. I brought 3 of the girls since I had the evening free and the flexibility to get away from work early enough.




Afterward we spent a little time at the Science Museum, but since my girls had school the next day (the others were already off for Spring Break), we didn't spend too much time. Now, other than normal practices, I don't think they have any dance performances until the May recital.


Then Friday, on my november06LID list, someone posts some files of exchange students available for the coming school year. Imagine my surprise when the girls I looked at (just out of curiosity) all turned out to be from Chongqing. That's where Jessica is from. I've been going over the postives and negatives all weekend, switching between yes, I'll do it, to no, not now. I just can't get past the great opportunity it would be for Jessica to have someone from the city she was born in stay with us for the school year. If it was the summer, I don't think I'd hesitate. For 10 months, I need to think about it awhile. I did shoot off an email to the principal of our high school asking if they accepted exhange students. But it's Spring Break week and everyone is off this week. I've had people tell em they've had the best exchange students. But there's extra time and expense getting them to all their activities. Although they do come with their own spending money, insurance, etc. But I also wonder if we'll get too attached and have a really tough time letting them go (my same reason of not foster parenting). First of all though, I have to find out what kind of students and how many the school would accept. Then I'd have to be approved. I couldn't find out if the agency had reps in my area. Fool hardy idea. Yesterday I was in the "later" camp, today I'm debating again. It would pass my time (yea, what time?!). But it's a lot to leap into without a lot more thought.

No comments: