Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Stork Has Landed, But It's a Tough Day in Minnesota


The stork has landed at my agency. LID's through November 21, 2005. Lots of families will see their children's pictures for the first time. Since GWCA did not get any referrals in July, it's pretty exciting to see referrals come a little earlier than expected.


On the other hand, I've moved from shock to sadness about the tragedy in Minneapolis where the I35W bridge collapsed over the river. Last night I couldn't tear my eyes off the television coverage. My girls came home from dance camp around 5:30 and then we ran some errands including going out for supper. The waiter came over and told me of the bridge collapse. I just could not believe it. I kept trying to figure out if I'd know anyone at all who might be driving in that area at 6:00. I was glad my girls were home safe and sound. Then I started to wonder how I was going to bring them to dance camp today since my normal route was the alternate route they kept posting. Twice as many cars? What time did I have to leave to get there at a decent time? I ended up talking to a friend and coming up with some alternate routes that didn't involve freeways/interstates. My kids were aware of the bridge collapse, but were more interested in playing on the Webkinz site. I'm glad of that. It allowed me the opportunity to watch it all. I needed that. Things like that just don't happen here! Then this morning I started to realize that the bridge won't be rebuilt for maybe another 2 years, meaning traffic will be tied up for a lot longer than a couple of days.

Anyway, please send your good thoughts to the people somehow involved in this tragedy - those who were killed or injured, relatives, the workers, the volunteers, the good samaritans, the rescue workers, etc. I now just want to sit and cry for everyone involved.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Praying in GA...

Angie