Saturday, October 13, 2007

Princess Penny Patinage




June 2, 1993 - October 13, 2007

My dog, my friend, my first baby died today. She was 14 years old and she quit eating and drinking 4 days ago. Bringing her in to have her put down was probably the hardest thing I ever had to do. I prayed Thursday and Friday nights that God would come and take her in the night, so I wouldn't have to make the call. I didn't sleep much Friday night from crying, knowing if she didn't die I'd have to get the courage to call the pet hospital.

She was the dog I wanted ever since I was 12 years old - my cream with apricot toy poodle who I could name Penny, because she was mine. She loved playing catch with a racketball. There was always just one with the right smell and taste. While waiting for me to throw the ball, she always had to have a stuffed rattle toy in her mouth. I'd buy baby toys because she like the rattle in them. She was very independent. A night owl. But when she wanted attention, she'd come and get it. Despite her being so tiny (7-9 lbs when she was healthy), she'd always stand her ground. She knew when to stand still and let another dog sniff her, but she was always in charge. Definitely an alpha dog. I loved her dearly. I bought my house for her. I got Dixie for her. When she became diabetic earlier this year and then when she couldn't seem to keep the weight on this summer, I knew she wouldn't make it to winter. I almost thought I'd lose her in August, then again a month ago. I did have 14 good years with her. She's out of pain now, and I'm sure she and Dixie are running around with my dad in heaven.

I wish I had a scan of one of the really cute pictures of her. I'll have to work on that. For now, I'll just repost the one I did on her birthday last June.

7 comments:

Angie said...

OH Laura, I am sorry. It is so hard to lose a pet especially one that has been so much a part of your family.

Cyndi and Dean James said...

I am so sorry to hear about Penny. She sounds like she was a GREAT pooch. It is very hard loosing a member of your family. My heart goes out to you and your girls.
Cyndi James
Waiting for Alicyn Shea
LID 10/24/06
www.cd2alicyn.com

Pam and Jeff said...

Oh, Laura. I cried as I read this entry. We are in the midst of the end ourselves. It is so hard. Even though you know that you will love them from birth to the end, it does not make it any easier. You and the girls will be in my prayers during this difficult time.

A Mom- In-W8ing said...

So sorry to hear this sad news; I know how tough it is to say good-bye to a fur-baby.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Smiles! :o)
Nikki

RamblingMother said...

So sorry to hear about your pup. That is very difficult to do.

Beverly

Top Mom said...

I'm so sorry to read you lost your "first baby". I know how hard that is, I lost mine 2 years ago at age 15. It will get better but even a new puppy will never be able to take the place of your first baby ....and I suppose that's the way it is meant to be/

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for this loss. They become so attched to you, it's hard to let them go.