Monday, April 21, 2008

I Think I'm Paying for the Wrong "Kid" to be Trained!

Jessica opened the door this morning as the dogs were hunched by the door ready to bolt if given the chance. And she opens the door!!!!!!! Lucy is a runner. It's spring, it's nice outside, and she wants to explore. It always seems to be Jessica that opens the door, after I tell her not to. It's always as we're headed out to something: school, dance, band. I just don't get it. Lucy had her nose in the corner ready to sprint as I'm telling Jessica to wait until the dogs back up. She opens the door about 6 inches, enough for Lucy to get out. What part of "she could get hit by a car and die" doesn't she understand? This is the responsible kid. The one who CAN hear. The one who should know better. Honestly, Anna has never let the dogs out. It's always Jessica. I don't know. We're doing dog training. Do I need to buy some sort of gate to block off the front door?



Anyway, I got my run in this morning. Got the heart racing as well. I found Lucy 2 streets over. After a construction guy couldn't get her and I stopped twice, I drove 1/3 of the block ahead of her and waited to see if she'd come to me after her potty break. Luckily she did come right to me. Maybe because I wasn't chasing her, just waiting. But, she knew she was in trouble and didn't want to go back in the house. I reprimanded her all the way home. Once I got to work, I sent an email to Jessica's teacher to let her know I found Lucy. Perhaps I should have let her worry all day, but I didn't. I treated myself to a stress relieving bagel for breakfast.

No comments: