Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I Totally Missed It For Once and Some Other Items

Last Friday was my 21 month LIDiversary. I totally missed it this month. I'm not sure whether that was a good thing or bad. We had fun that day as we went to the fair.





I figured out Sunday that Jessica will have to walk to school now that she's moved on to the Intermediate school which is grades 4-6. They only bus kids who are 1 mile or more from school and we're only 8 blocks. I'm so glad I let her ride her scooter there last week with a friend, and then let her ride it there again alone or I'd be freaking out. It just never dawned on me that my kids would ever not qualify for the bus. It looks like they will have to walk once they get to the Senior High as well as the requirements for bussing is 2 miles from the school. I'll worry about the 3 major roads/highways and 2 railroad tracks they'd have to cross once Jessica gets closer to 9th grade.

I did find a friend of hers who's mom will probably bike to school with her daughter and would swing by our house or wait for Jessica if I want. Right now Jessica is enjoying her independence and wants to go by herself as it "allows her time to think". I'm thinking once the days get shorter and the weather gets colder and/or when it snows, I might take her to daycare and have her take the bus from there as there's already another boy who takes the bus to that school from there.

The plan and the worry for the last year was that she'd take the bus to school in the morning, but ride the bus to daycare after school so I could pick the kids up from just one location. Now it looks like I'll be letting Jessica be latchkey most school days. My baby is growing up!!!! Since she's going to be riding something to school, I decided to buy her a new bike. The one she had was too small, and she says the brakes didn't work and neither did the kickstand. We pick up the new bike tonight. Anna has dance, but I guarantee Jessica won't be able to let the bike just sit in the back of the van. I'm sure she'll be wanting to ride it around the parking lot at dance. I went with a bike that will suit her as long as she's under my roof. It better last that long for what I'm paying for it. She loved it and figured out how to use the handbrakes and to shift gears immediately. She probably would have spent an hour riding around the parking lot of the store if it hadn't closed shortly after we got there. I'll post pictures of Jessica on her new bike later.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Hi Laura. Happy 21 months! They just keep coming....
Hope the school year is off to a great start for your girls!

Sherri said...

Hi Laura,
It's funny how they just sneek up on you. I hope to be able to post our 25th on Monday - i'm sure what Hurricane ike is doing yet. But at least we're getting those shutters up once again, this time there staying up.
Sherri