Monday, March 14, 2011

Excited. Worried. Typical Things.

I started packing yesterday. I'm trying to get by with the medium size rolling duffle (out of the set of 3 I bought years ago). I think I can do that as long as the girls each take a portion of what I've put together for the donation to babies in the orphanage. But now I'm wondering if I should pack as if I have the medium size, but transfer everything to the large one so there's room for souveniers even though a large portion of what I've packed will be freed up once I give the gifts to officials, and take out Amanda's backpack after we have her. I'm also wondering if I should try to bring a sleeping bag since there will be 4 of us in a room with only 2 beds. Or should I just put blankets on the floor? Have to think on that, but if you have any ideas, let me know. I'm always worried about money - who isn't? I did a chart and am a littl short due to the higher fees in Shanghai and my agency adding some pretty hefty flat fees to cover the guides, bus, etc. just last month. I understand with smaller groups that they want to cover things, but it was quite a jump from the amounts they listed in December. I'm hoping the Giveaway (see the link for the iPod under Fundraisers to the upper right) will bring in some funds. At least the airfare was on the low end. That helps. I need to line up someone to take care of my dogs and cat while I'm gone. I really would prefer they stay at home rather than having to board them. And I need to get serious about finding daycare once I'm home and once I go back to work. I think I can get by with only about 5 weeks until school is out, but it's hard to find someone short-term and is it fair to a daycare provider to use them for only 5 weeks? I guess if they have an opening. There's always our school district's daycare center - my backup option. They just haven't returned my emails. And I do have a list of local home daycares with openings. So I'm excited and starting to get ready to travel, but the days are quickly ticking off and there's still so much to do. Will everything go smoothly? Will my girls handle everything okay? Will Amanda adjust quickly and easily? Will any of us get sick in China? Or will everything go smoothly and I worry for nothing?

1 comment:

Sue said...

What kinds of dogs and cats do you have? As i learned with Erin's adoption, it all comes together at the end.
We slept 6 in our room, with putting girls on the floor on a blanket, it worked just fine.
If you can pack everything in the medium suitcase and know you will have a lot of room after taking out things once in Chinga, then I would stick with the Medium one.