Saturday, April 16, 2011

Saturday





First day at the White Swan in Guangzhou. Still a nice breakfast buffet. It was nice to see the families we were with last Saturday in Beijing, see their new children and see how they were all doing. After breakfast we walked to the shop that does visa photos. That hasn't changed from the first time I was here. Then we walked over to the medical office which is still the same as when I was there for Anna 9 years ago. They checked out her eyes quite a bit and if I could read Chinese characters, I think I got the prescription she'll need for her glasses. Every child over 2 had to have a TB test. Amanda was last and even Veronica was worried because she held her tight, held her face away from what was going on, and in the end, she didn't cry at all. She showed everyone the blood like it was a battle scar.

Much of Shamian Island has changed (like the Consulate is no longer on the island next to the hotel, and Jennifer's and Sherry's aren't down the street they were), but a lot is still the same (Lucy's is still there, the visa photo place, 7-11, medical office). It's nice to be in a familiar spot where I know we can wander. We also completed all our paperwork this afternoon. So all we need to do before the consulate appointment on Tuesday is go back to read the TB test. Tomorrow and Monday our guide will take us on a tour and some shopping places. Anna can't wait to go swimming. Amanda was excited to see the pool, so I think she's been swimming before. She's been exposed to so many more things than most kids from orphanages due to her being in foster care. I'm also pleased that she seems to be so developmentally on target. She can write and recite the alphabet. She can tie her shoes and is great at coloring. She even put her Coming Home Barbie's hair into pony tails. We didn't need the crib in the room, but it was nice that the hotel still gives the Barbie to adoptive families. It also appears she can read some Chinese characters.

Tonight we had a group supper at Lucy's which was nice. And a few minutes ago I got a big, big hug from Amanda - totally her idea as I am sitting at the desk on the computer. She's slowly getting used to me. She's bonded with her big sisters immediately and was really really jealous when Anna started playing with another little girl. I get some smiles and hugs every now and then. And every now and then she remembers she's not supposed to like me and gets mad.







1 comment:

Courtney said...

I have enjoyed watching you become a family of four. Your in the home stretch now. Congratulations.

Courtney Barnett
www.blaineandchloe.blogspot.com