Saturday, June 2, 2007

It's Penny's Birthday



Penny is my first baby. Today, she's 14. She made it to my first goal for her this year. When I was growing up, we had 2 dogs. Snoopy and Misty. They each died at the age of 13, so I really wanted Penny to make it past 13. My second baby, Dixie, died last August. I really don't want to lose 2 dogs in one year, so my second goal is for Penny to make it past the end of August. She's getting very geriatric. In March, I found out she was diabetic (as Dixie had been for 4.5 years). So I've been giving her insulin shots twice a day. She's so much older than Dixie was when she became diabetic, and so much more frail, that I know she won't last another 4 years. I doubt she'll be around when Amanda comes home. But she's doing okay. Thin, blind, hard of hearing, arthritic. But she's still my baby and I'm not ready to let her go yet. When the time is right, I'll know as I did with Dixie.

But anyway. Happy Birthday to my Penny!


No comments: