Monday, July 23, 2007

5 Years Ago - Anna joined my Family!

July 22, 2002:

I Have Her!!

We went to the Civil Affairs office here in Wuhan at10:30 this morning. There were 14 babies in all, 11 from Huanggang (all dressed in the same shorts outfit with splitpants) and 3 from WueXue(?). They gave us along speech and then brought the babies one by one so we could get pictures. They ended up going in alphabetical order by our last names. So this time around, I saw others getting their babies and got some good shots. Anna came to me crying. I can tell she's very bright and she is a lot like Jessica was. She's been grieving all day, likes bus rides and is very curious. She did, however, eat for me today - a lot! And she actually laughed at the end of supper. She's much longer and leaner than I expected. She didn't want me to take her clothes off, but the outfitI put on was a size 18 mo. and it fits well. I brought some smaller sizes that'll be given to others. Although she's been crying and grieving all day, she hasn't wanted me to put her down. She just clutches me. But luckily, she likes her stroller and she sat in the high chair after I got food. We're heading back to the Civil Affairs office tomorrow at 8:00 to file the adoption paperwork. Not sure what's up for the rest of the week. A little touring. Saw the Yangtze today. Very wide river. Gotta go. Anna's not happy. Talk to you all again soon!

July 23, 2002:

Paperwork Day!

Hi everyone! Today we spent 3.5 hours at the Civil Affairs office doing our paperwork to adopt the babies. She's officially mine now!!! A lot of questions and a lot more to it here. With Jessica, we met the babies, took a photo, went upstairs and filed the paperwork and gave them the orphanage donation and we left. No questions and end of paperwork. This time I had to answer questions from a couple of notaries or civil affairs people. There was also a lot of waiting around because there are 14 families in our group and just 2 guides to interpret. We've got the rest of the day free. Sounds like we'll go to a department store tomorrow and if it isn't raining, we'll tour some place. So far the weather hasn't been too bad. It was cloudy and windy in Beijing. It's been raining every day here in Wuhan. The clouds and rain keep the heat away. I think it was over 100 here last week and just a few minutes ago someone in one of the hotel shops tried to sell me along sleeved/long pants outfit because it was cold outside (not!). Anna is still grieving off and on. She woke up crying and she's very dramatic about it. On the other hand, she has every right to cry since her world has been turned upside down. I have gotten her to laugh. We were playing peek-a-boo this morning. She's also a smart cookie. She was seeing toys other girls had and offering to trade her bottle of water or empty bottle for their bright colored toy. Her eyes are very expressive and several people have told me she looks like me and/or has the same shaped face. Right now she's napping. She likes to eat - everything! I finally got some liquids in her. She appears not to know how to drink from a bottle. Someone else mentioned that too and suggested she's been breastfed. I brought a soft spout sippy cup and I managed to get her to drink some formula. She loves fruit also. Time to go. I'm glad Jessica is doing well. I'm still afraid if I call, I'll be the one to end up crying. I do miss her terribly but am so glad I had the sense to keep her home. This is not a pleasure trip by any means. Talk to you all again later. I'm finding more free time on this trip. Too bad it's raining. I don't dare walk around here. You should see the way they drive! The lines on the street are just there as a suggestion, but no one seems to drive in a straight line. And they just turn into oncoming traffic. Kind of scary! Ta Ta

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So sweet! I also enjoyed your post on the group site about "wish I had done/glad I did" Thanks for the insight - Christine